Video: Shameless Self-Promotion

by Kevin Delaney

What could ever be shameful about sharing what’s great about you with the world?

In this video, I talk about the virtue of getting your “stuff” out where it can be seen, heard & appreciated by other people. I share my special yin-yang diagram of success — and explain why the only shame is not to promote yourself as enthusiastically as possible!

P.S. — Have you joined The Wealthy Bohemian on Facebook yet? Click here to make that happen!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Laura Roeder May 4, 2010 at 9:05 am

I agree Kevin, the phrase “shameless” self promotion has got to go!

Debbie Grattan May 4, 2010 at 7:52 pm

So True, Kevin. We seem to have some misguided belief that we must be modest, and self-depricating, and hope that maybe the word will somehow magically get out about our talent, our gifts, or whatever it is that we have to offer. It’s quite a game out there these days, but as long as one is sincere, and honest, and enthusiastic about what one does, why not share it with the world? I like how you say that by sharing your gifts, you’re making the world a better place. Who doesn’t want to do that?

Susan May 6, 2010 at 5:05 am

Well done, Kevin! Great message that a lot of people need to hear.

Kristina May 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Thanks for posting this on the ActorNation/Linked In Group.

At first I was like “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”…

Check out this article I co-wrote for the PerformerNation Newsletter:

Be BOLD,
Kristina
KristinaHughes.com

p.s. nice RI hat!!! I graduated from Salve Regina in Newport

j.s. gilbert May 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Kevin,

I certainly agree with the concept and philosophy of marketing. The problem is that most people don’t seem to understand how to market themselves in an appropriate or professional manner. In some cases, I have found the marketing that some people use in social forums to be anything but social.

There is an interesting phenomenon that says that more information will be created in the year 2010, than in all recorded history up until that point.

In a day and age of of mass entitlement, with individuals rushing to market with insufficient skill sets and little in the way of marketable attributes, one really needs to get some professional perspective on how to proceed.

As an advertising professional, I find myself working less and less on production because I am tired of dealing with clients who have no understanding of the marketplace, creative or advertising, yet who want to tell me and others who have studied and worked hard to reach a level of competency in what we we do, specifically how to do our jobs.

Marketing is worthless. Intelligent marketing is what one needs to strive for. Develop a business plan and a business model first and then develop a marketing plan and get the support of professionals.

http://score.org is a great place to get absolutely free support from retired professionals.

Steve May 29, 2010 at 5:56 am

Karen W. July 26, 2010 at 8:49 am

Thanks, Kevin, for a postive energy boost this morning!
As the founder of a new audio book company, serving a niche market that is enthusiastic for this genre, it was a wonderful treat to find your blog.
Coming across “The Wealthy Bohemian” this morning was the best way to start my day, my week, and my continuing journey.
I couldn’t agree more with your statement, that true wealth means the freedom to do what you want. Prosperity and abundance are great words to keep in the forefront of one’s mind. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and keeping the inspiration flowing!
KW

Cynthia January 15, 2011 at 6:57 am

Well said, Kevin. Agree.

Morgan January 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

This video almost made me cry! This is absolutely amazing and something I’ve wanted to touch on for a long time. Let’s make it our mission to get rid of the term ‘shameless promotion’. 🙂